The challenges linked to addiction extend beyond a simple solution.
Individuals who are struggling with an addiction to opioids must address both the psychological and physical components of their addictions in order for lasting recovery to be achieved. Once patients are given the opportunity to understand what led them to abuse opioids in the first place, appropriately preparing for a future that is substance-free becomes achievable. Western Pennsylvania Comprehensive Treatment Centers provide patients with the opportunity to incorporate the use of group therapy into their treatment program in order for them to receive care for the underlying causes of their addictive behaviors.
Group therapy brings multiple patients together under the guidance of a trained counselor in order to openly and safely discusses a variety of topics in relation to addiction and recovery. Depending on the unique requirements and needs of each group, multiple counselors may join in order to ensure the most beneficial outcomes for patients.
Like individual therapy, the purpose of group therapy is to provide patients with a safe and supportive environment in which to address and treat the underlying causes of their addictions while learning techniques that will safely transition them to a substance-free future. The group therapy available through Western Pennsylvania Comprehensive Treatment Centers provides patients with the opportunity to accomplish the following while taking part in group therapy sessions:
- Universality– Assisting in reducing feelings of isolation amongst group members by focusing on the commonality of feelings and experiences between members of the group
- Self-understanding– Gaining insight into one’s own issues by actively listening to other individuals share their stories
- Interpersonal learning– Learning from the experiences of other group members while being able to openly share one’s own emotions and experiences
- Altruism– Experiencing the value of aiding in the progression of other members of the group
- Hope– Recognizing that other members of the group have overcome challenges that one may currently be experiencing
- Information– Learning more about the disease of addiction as well as the process of recovery
- Imitative behavior– Developing new behaviors by observing the positive actions of one’s counselor or other group members
- Cohesiveness– Feeling a sense of belonging by sharing the therapeutic process with other individuals
- Catharsis– Experiencing a sense of relief from emotional pain by openly sharing one’s challenges and setbacks
The treatment available through Western Pennsylvania Comprehensive Treatment Centers affords patients the opportunity to receive an all-inclusive approach to reaching recovery. By offering patients the ability to have both the emotional and physical aspects of their addictive behaviors treated, patients can safely return to the healthy, happy, and substance-free lives that they deserve to be living.
Although there is not a sole cure for opioid dependency, the use of therapeutic interventions such as group therapy provides the framework for lasting recovery when combined with medication assisted treatment. It is extremely critical for the future and wellbeing of an individual that treatment be received for an addiction to these powerful substances.
If you or someone that you love is struggling with an addiction to opioids, please contact Western Pennsylvania Comprehensive Treatment Centers today. Our dedicated and compassionate team of addiction treatment experts is here to provide you with the highest quality of care available as you progress towards an opioid-free future.